1. The theme of the 2007 Competition, is "Killing the Messenger."
More than 80 journalists have been killed in
the line of duty in 2006.
Many have been deliberately
targeted because of their investigative reporting or dissenting views such as Anna Polikovskaya in Russia,
and Lebanese publisher Gebran Tueni.
Many methods are employed to curb the
free press: kidnapping, intimidation, unjust jailing, and expulsion of foreign correspondents. Killing the Messenger has become a preferred method.
2. Three prizes will be awarded.
First prize: $1500, crystal trophy, and Canadian UNESCO certificate.
Second prize: $750.
Third prize: $500. All sums are in Canadian dollars.
Ten additional cartoons will each receive an Award of Excellence.
3. A maximum of three cartoons will be accepted from each cartoonist.
They may be in colour or black and white. They may be sent as attachments to an e-mail. They may not have previously won an award. They will not be returned.
4. The size of the cartoon should not exceed 8.5 by 11 inches.
5. The cartoonist's name, address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address (if available) must be on the reverse side of each cartoon or in the body of the e-mail to which the cartoon is attached.
6. A short biography of the Cartoonist should be provided.
7. The National Press Club of Canada shall have the rights to use any of the cartoons entered in the Competition for promotion of the Luncheon or World Press Freedom Day. Participation in the competition implies agreement by the cartoonist to the conditions of this article.
8. An exhibit of the best cartoons will be held in the National Press Club Library.
9. The winners of the Competition will be announced at the World Press Freedom Day Luncheon held at the National Press Club in Ottawa, on May 3, 2007 and will be advised by mail or fax or e-mail. The results may be posted on the National Press Club Web site
10. Entry deadline is 5 pm Eastern Standard Time, Friday, March 30, 2007.
Cartoons must be sent to:
The National Press Club of Canada, 150 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. K1P 5A4
or to Spencer Moore, by
Fax: 613-834 2657.
or by E-mail
For further information contact Spencer Moore, Phone: 613-824-2436
Formulaire en version fran硩se est disponible. T鬺 613-233-5641.