7th International Biennial for Caricature Masters of caricature -Plovdiv 2013
MUNICIPALITY OF PLOVDIV
REGIONAL ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM – PLOVDIV
UNIVERSITY OF AGRIBUSINESS AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT – PLOVDIV
PLOVDIV CARTOONISTS ASSOCIATION
SEVENTH INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL FOR CARICATURE
MASTERS OF CARICATURE
Plovdiv 2013, Bulgaria
SUBJECT: Тhe fatal number 13
The year is 2013. What do the cartoonists around the world think about the number 13?
From ancient times the numbers have been perceived as carrying luck or misfortune. Nobody actually knows since when the fatalism to the number 13 dates back. But according to one version, the prehistoric man had 10 fingers and two feet, and could not count to more than 12. According to another, in the ancient beliefs the number 12 was the perfect one, but the number 13 violates this strict system and awakens the superstitions in people. On the contrary, in ancient Egypt the people used to believe that if you wanted to achieve immortality, you have to climb the ladder with the 13 steps; while in the Greek mythology, Zeus was the 13th and the strongest god. In fact the black glory, which is assigned to this number, appeared probably in the fourteenth century, after the defeat of the Order of the Temple.
But the truth is always somewhere in the middle. Originally Adam had 13 ribs, but God pulled out one of them, and said to him: "Be careful with the number 13! It is at the same time a number of righteousness and a number of evil in the world."
Address for submission:
Regional Ethnographic Museum
2, Dr. Chomakov Str.
4000 Plovdiv BULGARIA
1. The Biennial for Caricature is open to professional and amateur caricaturists from all over the world;
2. Each participant should send up at least one piece of work 210/297 mm (A4 format);
3. The caricatures may be colorful or black-and-white;
4. Participants should send their caricatures by 31 July 2013;
5. It is advisable that together with their caricatures, participants also send a photograph or take-off and CV;
6. An international jury will nominate five caricaturists who will be conferred the title Master of Caricature;
7. Prize caricatures are not sent back;
8. The rest of the caricatures will be sent back if authors state that in written form;
9. The Catalogue of the exhibition will be given free of charge to participants whose caricatures are included in the Catalogue.
Time and venue: October, 1-st 2013, at 18.00 hrs at the Regional Ethnographic Museum.
Submission deadline: 31 July 2013 (mail date)
The Nominated works will be kept in Works of Fine Art Stock of Regional Ethnographic Museum, Plovdiv
Phone: ++ 359 32 626328; ++ 359 32 626339.
E-mail: email@example.com .